What is Educational Technology?
AECT Definition
Educational Technology is the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using, and managing appropriate processes and resources (Januszewski & Molenda, p.15).
Tedesco’s Working Definition
Educational Technology is the study and practice of the creation, use, and management of technological processes to enrich learning.
Where Does My Research Question Fit In?
Aligning my research questions with the AECT definition is difficult; however the closest alignment would be with the “creating and using” section of the definition. Using the Seels & Richey (1994) domains of Educational Technology for alignment, my research question would include components of UTILIZATION, DEVELOPMENT, and DESIGN.
Literature Review Research Question
How does experiential learning activities using mobile learning devices and case-based learning design strategies increase intrinsic motivation of students while satisfying curriculum objectives?
Concept
Wherigo is a toolset for creating and playing GPS-enabled adventures in the real world. Wherigo allows geocachers to interact with physical and virtual elements such as objects or characters while still finding a physical geocache container.
Using Wherigo, pre-service teachers will design (DESIGN), develop (DEVELOPMENT), and create Wherigo adventures.
This is where I need the most help…figuring out what I will actually investigate.
References
Januszewski, A., Molenda, M., & Harris, P. (2007). Educational Technology. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Seels, B., & Richey, R. (1994). Instructional Technology. Washington: Association for Educational Communications and Technology.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Stephen- your whereigo idea reminds me of the good old Orienteering meets I used to compete in as part of my junior high geography course.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the geocaching. I checked out my neighbourhood and there are tons around Edmonton. I'm looking forward to getting a gps to go hunting with my daughter.